Tuesday, March 5, 2013

WILDA'S OUTLAW:THE VICTORIANS

"Heat rose from her breasts to her cheeks. She might have swallowed something alive, something that slithered about tickling all her secret places, bringing them to life as well. Dear God in Heaven, what would the nuns say?"

Velda Brotherton's historical romances simmer. Now in her eighth decade, Velda is still busy delivering sexy heroes and spunky heroines for our reading pleasure. We're lucky to have this whirlwind author here on Tuesday Tantalizers as she tries to lasso Calder Raines, the outlaw of WILDA'S OUTLAW: THE VICTORIANS, for an interview.

VB: Calder, I'm pleased you could take some time off from your - er - work to sit down with me for a visit.
Calder Raines: That's okay. The boys rode out last week to check a thing or two, so I don't have much to do.
VB: Hmm, that's good. Tell me if you don't mind. How did you get in this business of outlawing?
CR: Tell you a little secret. It's not what I wanted to do, for sure. But it sort of runs in the family. My uncle and his boys, Dad and my brother, you know? I didn't want to let my folks down and take up some other occupation. To tell you the truth, I ain't very good at robbing folks. Makes me nervous cause I would sure hate to shoot someone. Especially a pretty lady.
VB: That's completely understandable. Speaking of pretty ladies, I understand that you first met Wilda Duncan when you robbed a train on which she was riding.
CR: Yep, that's true. And that's just what I mean. You see, if I'd gone in there shooting up the place, why she might have gotten hurt, and I would've hated that, seeing as how things turned out between us.
VB: Oh, and how was that?
CR:  Turns out she was coming here to America from England by way of Scotland to marry some Lord, you know one of those remittance men from a rich family. Those Englishmen have an odd custom. The oldest son, he gets the estate and the title, and the rest of them are just sh** out of luck. Oh, they get an allowance, but they're sent on their way. I reckon all the land over there's all bought up, 'cause some of 'em are coming to America to buy land. In this case, he built a castle for his new bride, one he'd picked out before he left his country. Then when she got here she didn't like him. Can't say as I blame her. He wasn't very nice, thought he could tell her what to do. She's not that kind of woman, and so she wanted out of the marriage. But, well, he'd agreed to care for her sister and cousin. Kind of a trade-off for her agreeing to marry him, and she was afraid he'd toss them out.
VB: My goodness. Well, what did that have to do with you? Don't tell me she hired you to get rid of him?
CR: On, no. Nothing like that. I don't do that. Nope. She sends me this note after we had a right exciting first meeting on that train. Asks me to come out to this fella's place and meet her in the barn.
VB: And you went?
CR: Sure did. She was right pretty and we hit it off first thing. I took one look at those eyes of hers and couldn't resist. A man would be crazy to say no. Anyway, when I got there it turned out she wanted me to kidnap her, figuring that way this Lord wouldn't blame her for not being around when the wedding date came up. She'd get out of the marriage and her sister and cousin wouldn't be punished.
VB: But what about you? Couldn't you get in a great deal of trouble if you were caught?
CR: Well, we did discuss that, but she said something that made it okay. She said I'd probably be hung if they caught me anyway, considering all me and the boys had been up to. Even without the kidnapping, I was a wanted fugitive, so what did I have to lose?
VB: And so you agreed?
CR: Yep. Right there on the spot, as it turned out. Tossed her over my shoulder, told her to scream and throwed her on my horse. Never occurred to me she had on so many clothes, though. That hoop under her skirt looped itself over Windmill's rump and stuck up in the air over my head, bouncing up and down so I could hardly see. Spooked old Windmill some, but we got away from there fast, her screaming and me riding hell bent for leather. Pardon the expression, ma'am.
VB: Certainly. Well, my goodness, it sounds like you had a rather rocky beginning.
CR: More like her having the rocky beginning. She fell off in the creek and that's when I convinced her to get rid of all that folderol she was wearing. Seeing as how it was sopping wet and too heavy for her to walk in, let alone ride. Besides, Windmill let it be known she couldn't climb back on in that condition anyway. It was either strip down some or walk, which she couldn't do either.
VB: I take it you escaped, since you're not in jail. Are things going well for you now? Are you still together?
CR: Yep. The boys are insisting she help us rob the bank in Victoria City, but I'm not sure how that's going to go.
VB: Uh, yes, well. Thanks so much for coming here today. I think it might be a good idea if you ---
CR: Lit out? I think you might be right. I'd appreciate it if you didn't say anything about this for a few days, at least till we get this job done. I think me and her might take off for California soon.
VB: That might be a good plan. Thanks for talking to me.
CR: Oh, you're right welcome.
VB: The last we heard, Calder and Wilda were hiding out from a search party sent out by Lord Blair Prescott. We hope all goes well for them.

Sounds like neither Calder nor Wilda suspected what was in store for them! Give us a longer teaser from the book, please, Velda.

From WILDA'S OUTLAW: THE VICTORIANS
 by Velda Brotherton

“Calder,” she murmured, and ran her hand up under his shirt along the laddering of his ribs. Soft down, warm skin, tight muscles aquiver under her touch. He replied in a language she did not know, but understood, breathed her name. She shifted enough to touch his mouth with hers once again, prolonging the taste of him. Honey and coffee and a masculine essence that she would have known anywhere, in any dark corner of the universe. Blindfolded, she could follow him across endless miles of prairie. If she kissed a hundred men, a thousand men, she would always know this one, above and beyond all the rest. For what remained of her life.
His arm tightened around her waist, the other hand cupped her buttocks to pull her even closer. A groan rumbled from deep in his throat. Under her cheek the rise and fall of his chest, the beat of his heart, the racing of blood through his veins. A rhythm, a haunting song needing no words.
His mouth covered hers in a gentle plea for more, his desire throbbing against her like a live, insistent, most secret thing. That she did not know how to quench his needs frightened and enthralled her. Passion washed over her until there was nothing else. Not her hopes or dreams, not her fears for Tyra and Rowena, nor her dread of all her tomorrows.
He uttered her name over and over. A mantra whispered against her skin, igniting yet another flame. Even as the repetition faded, she sensed his withdrawal, a stillness that coalesced into retreat. She could not let him go, would not, her fingers curled into the fabric of his shirt.
Though she desperately prayed for it, he did not try to kiss her again. Instead he put space between them, took long deep breaths and stared toward the horizon as if he sensed something about to appear there. After a long moment of silence, he pried her fingers loose. Uttered the words she had dreaded.

Simmering writing! Tell us more about Velda Brotherton.



Velda Brotherton writes of romance in the old west with an authenticity that makes her many historical characters ring true. A knowledge of the rich history of our country comes through in both her fiction and nonfiction books, as well as in her writing workshops and speaking engagements.  She just as easily steps out of the past into contemporary settings to create novels about women with the ability to conquer life’s difficult challenges. Tough heroines, strong and gentle heroes, villains to die for, all live in the pages of her novels and books.


Below are a just a few of the places you can find Velda Brotherton:


Velda, thanks for visiting SOME LIKE IT HOTTER. Readers: As always, happy hot and sexy reading!

3 comments:

Claire Croxton said...

This is awesome!! Steamy and sexy.

Pamela Foster said...

Hot damn, Velda. You are my hero. Sizzling hot and funny and entertaining! Wow.

Velda Brotherton said...

Thanks ladies, glad you liked it. I thought this blog was so hot when she asked me to post, I couldn't resist. Some may be shocked.
Thanks also to Christi who invited me to be here.