Tuesday, March 26, 2013

MAGICAL MISFIRE: MORTALS FOR MAGIC BOOK 1

Tuesday Tantalizers is pleased to welcome Cassidy Kingston, author of Magical Misfire: Mortals for Magic Book 1, a sexy new release from Whiskey Creek Press/Torrid Books.

Welcome, Cassidy!  Will you share a little bit about yourself?
I am a married mother of three VERY active kids ages 17, 11, and 10. I live in Alabama, but I hate the heat. When I am not writing I can be found at a wrestling tournament or at a soccer game.

Are you a reader? 
I LOVE reading. My favorite authors are Stephen King, James Rollins, Brad Meltzer, Kim Harrison and Charlain Harris. My First love is horror and I hope one day I can actually write it.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
 I desperately wanted to be an Astronaut. But sadly they have height requirements and 5’3 is too short.
  
What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?
I write totally out of order. I have tried to sit down and write something in the order that it should happen and it never works out. While my books are still in progress it is very common for me to have chapters with names like “Chapter ???” Or “Chapter before the last chapter”.

Is there a secret you’d like to let readers know about you? 
I am a geek. I go to Dragon*con and love every second of it.

You have kids at home. What you need your surroundings to be like when you are writing?
I can pretty much write anywhere. I have written sitting in a gym while watching my sons wrestle.

What movie star would you pick as one of the characters in your book and why?
I always have someone in mind while I am writing and for Cooper I imagined Bradley Cooper.

Do you dream about your stories?  Ever written about a dream?
All the time! My characters stalk me in my sleep.

What gave you the idea to write your book? And where to set it?
I kept imagining a witch that couldn’t control her powers. There is a scene on the book where Kayla turns a file folder into a bunny. This was the first one I wrote and it just kind of went from there. It is set in a large city law firm.

Please tell us about your hot new novel.

Magical Misfire: Mortals For Magic Book 1 is about a witch who is so infatuated with her boss that she can not control her magic when she is close to him. It is the first in an erotic romance series based around the employees of a law firm that deals with discrimination against the magical.



Sounds intriguing! How about a little teaser?

“Kayla, you have to come out.”

“No! I may never come out again."

“We have to be back in the meeting in five, come on. It wasn’t that bad. I’m sure they didn’t even notice,” Samantha said, then quickly covered her mouth to muffle the giggle she’d let slip out.

“Sam, are you laughing at my humiliation? You’re supposed to be my best friend. I’m sure they all noticed; I mean, I set his tie on fire!”

“Well, it’s funny. Come out; I’m tired of talking to the bathroom stall door. Stop acting like a kid.”

Kayla slowly opened the stall door and walked out; her cheeks were still blazing red with embarrassment.

“Kayla, why are you still having misfires? We’ve had our full powers for five years now. You should’ve outgrown those years ago.”

“I know; it just seems that every time I’m around Cooper, I get all nervous and things just happen.”

“Ohmigawd! You like him! You’re getting all hot and worked up for him and that’s what’s causing the misfires.”

“Maybe. I mean, yeah, I’m very attracted to him, way more than I’ve ever been attracted to anyone ever!”

“How long has it been, ya know, since you were with a man? Maybe that is what’s wrong; you have all this pent up energy and it needs to be released…by Cooper.”

“Umm not too long, well maybe a little while.”

“How long Kayla?”

“Two and a half years.”

“Wow! I would die.”

“Samantha, stop being so overdramatic. You know that when Brad cheated on me it hurt me badly and I just haven’t been able to get close to another guy ever since.”

“Well if that’s what’s causing you to misfire, you need to get laid before you do some serious harm to the poor guy,” Sam said with a giggle. “You don’t have to jump into a relationship, just the sack. Now come on, we have to get back in the meeting.”

****

The two women walked into the large conference room and sat at the end of the
large table. On one side were two older witches and their lawyer. On the other side
was Ryan Cooper, head litigator for the “Mortals for Magic” nonprofit. He specialized
in witches and warlocks who had been treated unfairly only because of their magical
abilities. Since the magical world let itself be known to the mortal world, there had
been a backlash and a new type of discrimination had formed.

Cooper was the mortal son of a magical mother, so he was perfect to run the
company even though his mother had long ago shunned her abilities in favor of a
rich husband and privileged lifestyle. He was tall, with a dark complexion and short,
well-kept dark blond hair and looked every bit the part of a lawyer. He knew the laws
and understood that the magical people were like regular people, just with a little
magic.

Cooper sat across from the two older witches, with the top two buttons on his shirt
undone and his tie long gone; his collar showing only slight singe marks. He grinned
his million dollar smile at the two older witches.

“Ladies, I am honored to give you this check that was sent to us today as severance
from your job. The company would like to apologize for the misunderstanding.
They are thankful for your years of service and wish you both the best in future
endeavors.”

The older of the two ladies took the check, looked it over and said, “Well, I’m still
pissed they fired us just because we came out about our powers. We worked there
twenty-five years. But to tell you the truth, I was getting tired of those idiots. And
I’m sure this check will be enough for us to live on for the rest of out lives. Come on
Louise, let’s hit the mall.”

The two older ladies stood up and almost sprinted out of the room. Cooper shook
hands with their lawyer and walked him to the door then turned to face Sam and
Kayla.

“Well, that went well, all things considered.”

“Cooper, I am so sorry, I guess I must be getting sick. I can pay for your tie and
dry-cleaning on your jacket.”

“No need to worry Kayla, my sister did worse when she was getting her powers. But
she was much younger. I guess you should take the rest of the day off and go see if
you can figure out what is causing the misfires. Sam, if you could give us a moment
alone I need to talk to Kayla.”

“Sure,” Sam said as she turned and walked out of the room. She looked back over
her shoulder and gave Kayla a quick wink when she thought Cooper couldn’t see her.

Cooper walked over and placed a hand on Kayla’s shoulder, looking down at her with
his crystal clear green eyes, “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah, Cooper, I’m okay.”

“We can’t have our best magical investigator sick; go take care of yourself.”

As soon as he walked out the door, a silver stream shot from her finger and caused a
small clap of thunder. A rain cloud appeared over the table.

Sam rounded the corner and stood at the door, looking up at the rain cloud.

“Oh lord, Kayla, go get laid,” she said as she quickly zapped the raincloud away.

Okay, we're definitely hooked! Where can we find Magical Misfire: Mortals for Magic Book 1?

What if we haven't had enough of Cassidy Kingston? Please give us some links to find out more!
Follow Cassidy on Twitter @CassidyKingston

Cassidy, thank you so much for being here with us today. Readers, as always, happy hot and sexy reading!





2 comments:

Cassidy Kingston said...

Thanks for having me!!!!

Angela Campbell said...

Loved the excerpt. Will have to go buy it now. :)