Tuesday, June 4, 2013

TO HISS OR TO KISS

Tuesday Tantalizers is pleased to welcome Katya Armock as she interviews Jorge, from To Hiss or To Kiss

Chloe can “talk” to animals…so why can she hear the thoughts of this hot, green-eyed man?

Abandoned by her mother and raised by a father who’d given up on life, Chloe doesn’t let anyone get close. Lucky for her, she can communicate with animals—telepathically. Animals are the only people she needs. When a suspected dogfighting ring comes to her attention, Chloe decides to do a little spying. In her rush to win the dogs’ trust, she almost gets caught.

Until a sexy stranger intervenes, and she finds she can overhear his thoughts. She’s never been able to hear people, and this man’s about as sexy as she’s ever seen. It’s more than intellectual curiosity that drives her to discover his secret: Jorge is a jaguar shape-shifter, and the presence of this cat among the dogs might be a bit too much to handle. But the animal attraction is just too hot to resist, and the passion between them makes both the sparks—and the fur—fly…

Today, we get some insight into Jorge’s mind.

     1. How do you feel being the main character of a book?
It’s actually rather humbling and somewhat mortifying. I’m just glad the book is from Chloe’s point of view so Katya didn’t write what was in my head all the time.

     2. Why did you choose your current profession?
It’s a family business, although my brother and I were instrumental in expanding the technology focus. I can’t deny that I enjoy playing with technological gadgets.

     3. If you could work in any profession outside of what you're doing now, what would it be and why?
Perhaps if I had less family obligation, I’d spend more time in the lab doing R&D. As is, I seem to end up focusing on financial assets more, which if fine. I’m good at it.

     4. If you could change one thing that the author wrote (or told) about your life, what would it be?
I can’t believe Katya let Chloe share some of the thoughts she picked up on when we first met. That was before I knew Chloe could hear my thoughts and before I told her I was a shape-shifter. Oh, and Katya said I blushed once. I don’t blush.

     5. What's your greatest strength?
Well, my jaguar half is pretty strong, but I’m sure that’s not what you mean. I’d like to think my intellect is my greatest strength. Luckily, Chloe thought I was a sexy nerd.

     6. What's your greatest failing?
I am guarded. Keeping the existence of shape-shifters under wraps makes me cautious. I also am slow to trust people with the secret. It makes it difficult for me to build intimate relationships.

     7. Who is your favorite relative and why?
My Uncle Roberto. He is the only other one in my close family who is a shape-shifter, and he’s the most laid back. I love my family, but they can be a bit much to take. I’ll be interested to see what Chloe thinks when she meets them.

     8. If you could change one thing about another character in the book, who and what would it be?
I would make Chloe’s father more open. I doubt he realizes the impact his distant attitude has on Chloe. I don’t know that she fully realizes it either. I want her to be happy, and I think a better relationship with her father would make her happy.

     9. What makes you happiest?
Being with Chloe.

     10. What annoys you most?
Assholes. You can take that however you want.

Katya, would you tease us with an excerpt from To Hiss or To Kiss?
“Despite how things were left last night, I am still concerned for your welfare, Chloe. It was not my intent to upset you last night. I am, uh, I am…”
I want to jump in and finish his sentence with something like “stupid,” “mercurial,” “heartless,” “a cad,” et cetera, but I bite my tongue. I did, after all, admit I might already be in love with him earlier today. Perhaps I shouldn’t do anything to completely screw this up.
So instead of a biting retort, I soften my expression but still stare mercilessly, willing him to look back up and meet my eyes.
He finally looks up, his eyes pleading with me to understand. “…I do not do well interacting with people. And I don’t tell people my secrets.”
I find myself melting a little when I see some chinks through the wall he erected last night. “Yeah, well, I can understand that.”
He looks mildly surprised that I’m not berating him or stomping past him to get in my car. Am I really that harsh?
Yeah, maybe. No, definitely, if I go on what he’s seen of me.
“You do?” He looks more vulnerable, and therefore more sexy, by the minute.
 “I know having to hide a part of yourself puts up a pretty big barrier to maintaining relationships,” I say, and find I mean it. I smile. “And you do seem like kind of a nerd, too.” I’m relieved by the slight upturn to his lips.
“A nerd?”
“Yeah. You’re quiet and I bet you know a lot. You’ve got a bookish vibe.” At that he seems a little crestfallen, and I worry I just undid any repairs I’d made to this incredibly awkward conversation/relationship/future marriage/whatever.
“That’s not a bad thing. Nerdy can be cool. I’m somewhat of a science nerd and bookish myself. And you’re a pretty sexy nerd, so it’s all good.” Oh, God. There go my capillaries again.
I decide the best way to save face ­is to keep staring at him, so I see his mouth widen into a satisfied grin. His nervousness seems to have evaporated, and he’s back to cool cat. “You think I’m sexy?”
“And if I do?”

Please give us the links where we can buy To Hiss or To Kiss.
Please tell us more about author Katya Armock and give us links where we can find you.

I like books that are funny and fun to read (and hot!) but also make me think or look at the world in a new way. I am influenced by magic realism, comparative mythology, and esoteric spiritual practices from around the world.
I spent too many years chasing someone else’s definition of success. My life simplified, I returned to my first love of writing.

These days you’ll find me writing, pet sitting, juggling a number of freelance gigs, and reigning as my home’s domestic goddess. I live in the Midwestern U.S. with my husband, dog and cats. Alas, I have, as of yet, been unable to teach my husband how to purr.


No comments: