Monday, May 19, 2014

DREAM STUDENT

Dream Student – book one of the Dream Series

Blurb:
What would you do if you could see other people's dreams? 
What if you could watch their hidden fantasies and uncover their deepest,  darkest secrets...without them ever knowing? 
What if they could get you killed? 

Sara Barnes thought all she had to worry about was final exams, Christmas shopping and deciding whether she liked the cute freshman in the next dorm that has a crush on her. But then she starts seeing dreams that aren't hers and learns more than she ever wanted to know about her friends, her classmates...and a strange, terrifying man whose dreams could get her killed. 


Excerpt:
Still, it all makes perfect sense…
…And then, for a moment it doesn’t; Sara is somewhere else, someone else’s bedroom.  And then it all makes sense to her again.  She’s been here before. This isn’t just any bedroom, this is the bedroom, his bedroom.  
Here he is, with another girl, another teenager, another victim.  She looks familiar, Sara knows she’s seen her face somewherethe newspaper, maybe?  Or on TV?  Yes!  Now she remembers.  It was on the news a couple of nights before: a runaway girl, frantic parents, fears that the worst had happened.  And here the worst is happening right in front of Sara, and just like all the other times she can’t do anything except watch, and scream…

***

…Someone’s talking to me.  Trying to reassure me.  “It’s OK, it’s OK.”  As if saying that over and over makes it true.  When my eyes finally start focusing again, I can see who it is.  Dr. Ritter.  He’s standing over me, and he keeps looking back and forth between me and some papers he’s holding.
“Hi.  So much for your experiment, I guess.”  I try very hard to keep my voice calm and casual.  I really don’t want to lose it in front of him.  Again.
Strangely, he doesn’t look as though this was a complete disaster; what he does look is puzzled.  “I take it you had another nightmare, Sara?”  He helps me sit up, hands me a glass of water.
Oh, God.  I take several deep breaths, drink the water in one swallow, then several more deep breaths.  I tell myself over and over: relax.  Be calm.  Dr. Ritter is waiting expectantly, and after a minute, or ten, I’m finally able to speak in a relatively even tone.  “Yeah.  It was different–a different girl, I think I saw her on the news, she ran away from home or something–and the same guy, and he…”
“Yes, I can imagine what you saw.  I’m sorry.”  He has the decency not to look me in the eye as he says it.  “But you have to see this,” he goes on, giving me the papers he was looking at, printouts of–I assume–my EEG readings.  I force myself to focus on it.  Anything to keep those images out of my head.  Calm.  Relax.  I can do that.  I have to.
“Right there.  Something happened.  Your delta waves just changed–it’s as though the monitor was switched on to someone else right in the middle of the session.”  He’s pointing at a spot on the reading where it goes all of a sudden from nice straight lines to jagged up-and-down.
That’s it, that’s exactly it.  I don’t know much about brainwaves or what they’re supposed to look like, but a sudden change like that has to mean something.  For whatever it’s worth, this is proof.  I’m seeing what he’s dreaming about.  Somehow.  “It’s not me.  Not my dream.  It’s his dream.”
“This can’t be right.  This doesn’t happen.  The only possible way you would ever see something even remotely like this,” Dr. Ritter says, more to himself than to me, “is if there was a sudden traumatic event, a seizure or something similar.  And even then it wouldn’t be this extreme.”
I agree completely. “OK, so I’m not crazy, it’s really happening.  Tell me what I’m supposed to do about it.”
Dream Student is the thrilling first installment of the Dreams series.

Buy Links:

Author Bio:

J.J. (James) DiBenedetto was born in Yonkers, New York. He attended Case Western Reserve University, where as his classmates can attest, he was a complete nerd. Very little has changed since then.
He currently lives in Arlington, Virginia with his beautiful wife and their cat (who has thoroughly trained them both). When he's not writing, James works in the direct marketing field, enjoys the opera, photography and the New York Giants, among other interests.
The "Dreams" series is James' first published work.


Social Media Links:


1 comment:

James D said...

Thanks for featuring me this morning!