Friday, November 27, 2015

DRUID WARRIOR'S HEART: Celtic Stewards Chronicles 2

Today Juli D. Revezzo takes over Some Like It Hotter with a character interview for Druid Warrior’s Heart.


Thank you for your time today, Ruth. You and your family, the Mackens, have had quite a time over the years, especially you. Why don’t you tell us how it all started for you? Your family was having a typical day on your farm, Bitter Thorn Grove when....
Ruth: Oh, my! Yes, there I was spinning wool into yarn, mother was cooking dinner, when these men arrived on our farm and made a request of my father that he was reluctant to honor. A weird feeling came over me that all was not right. Sure, they said our priest sent them, but… I couldn’t help but wonder. So, I ran for help, and that's when I met Isaac Connel. He was, as far as I knew, a soldier from our local garrison and who better to help? When we arrived home, I found my father dead, my mother...not quite all there, as you might say these day and weird people in my home. Isaac took control of the situation, drove the invaders out, and …well, I’m so glad he was there!
Yes, what would you do without him?
Ruth: I really don’t know. Given what happened to my father, I don’t like to think about it.
What did you really think of Isaac when you met him?
Ruth: When I first met him, right after Christmas, I thought he was, shall we say, a lovely man. I didn't know until later exactly how special he was. What a shock! I mean, Mother always  told us stories about the magic harshad warriors wielded, but I never thought I'd live to see it! That, more than anything, made me fall held over heels in love with him.
No doubt. It would seal it for me, too. ☺  Your family has always been quite secretive with regards to the harshad warriors and their war.
Ruth: Understandably so! What do you think the church would do to us if they found out we *gulp* had magical powers and awaited warriors they think only exist in stories and legends?
Exactly, my thoughts. How have you been able to keep your secret for so long?
Ruth: Well, if I told you that, it wouldn't be a secret, would it?
No, I suppose not.
Ruth: The truth of the matter is, my family has been lucky to have skilled scholars on our side. You might call them druids, and that would be the correct term, as my family knows it.
Druids! You are one lucky girl!
Ruth: I suppose so, if it weren’t for all the supernatural strangeness that happens around them.
I suppose that’s true. For those who don’t know can you tell us what the harshad wars are?
Isaac Connell: Do you mind if I answer this one, my love?
Ruth: No. Go right ahead. I had no idea you were listening.
Isaac: *Isaac smiles*  It’s what I do, isn’t it? Well, dear ladies, the harshad wars are a mythic war between my Tuatha dé Danaan allies and our ancient enemy Balor of the Evil Eye. The wars started many centuries ago, and Ruth’s family, brave women that they are, have always hosted us.  (As per our agreement with Balor and his minions, we fight our battles every five hundred years; hence our druids dubbed them the harshad wars because five hundred  is something called a harshad number). Our part in the battle is not only to fight and defeat our Enemy, but to watch over the Macken family to keep them safe, should Balor strike out them. If we lose them, we lose everything, if you take my meaning.
*Ruth winks* Don’t ask me how we were lucky enough to be chosen. That story was lost to the mists of time.
Isaac: Yes, I can’t say how long ago they started. My druid friends know the exact date of the first battle. If I remember correctly, men were still living in caves, at the time.
Ruth: Wherever it started, every five hundred years another battle happens, and though we’ve been lucky so far, there are rumors that the battle can be lost. *Ruth shudders* I hope this time the combatants can make a lasting peace.
Come now, Ruth, tell us the truth. You do have some magic of your own to protect yourself with.
Ruth: I wouldn’t put it that way.
But you do, don’t you? Particularly with the way you can make your garden and grove grow so miraculously.
Ruth: Is that me, or is it the land? You know it has always been blessed by the Tuatha dé Danaan gods.
Yes, I suppose that’s true. Still, do you think you ever might be a druid?
Ruth: Me? I don’t know about that. I’ll leave that training to my beloved Isaac. One never knows. Perhaps our magic will manifest again in one of our descendants.
If you had one word of advice for your descendants, what would it be?
Ruth: Remember where you came from, and don’t let your so-called rational brains cloud your judgement.
Isaac: But know when to keep silent. There’s trouble you can’t come back from, and the world doesn’t need to lose you to it.
Ruth, Isaac, thank you both for sharing your story and advice with us.


Ruth: It was our pleasure. And thank you, Christi, for inviting us!
Your creatrix, Juli D. Revezzo's getting a bit curious about our conversation I see, so let's give this one to her: Juli, what are we really looking forward to in your future? And for those who haven’t read DRUID WARRIOR’S HEART, care to give us a little taste?
Juli D. Revezzo: Sure. I am Ruth’s creator. I must say it was fun (and at sometimes harrowing!) bringing her story to you. She even taught me a few things along the way.
Ruth: Yes, don’t worry, dear. Your knitting will improve as time goes on.
Juli D. Revezzo: *blushes* Yeah, I can only hope! Anyway,  as you’ve heard, right now I’m working on bringing another story of the harshad warriors out into the world. (Sometimes, those warriors just don’t want to talk!)
Isaac: Excuse me?
Ruth: Oh come now, they’re not that bad.
*Juli looks at Christi* Yeah, right. They call Ruth stubborn? HA!  Anyway, the next book is in the works. I hope to have it out to you soon! In the meantime, I hope you and your readers will enjoy Isaac and Ruth’s story.  Here’s a bit about it:
Title: Druid Warrior’s Heart
Series: Celtic Stewards Chronicles, Book two.
Genre: This book is a Celtic fantasy romance, set in Renaissance Era Ireland, circa 1513.
Cover art by: Boulevard Photografica
Rating: sweet
Synopsis:
As the latest in her family’s long line of Stewards, Ruth Macken awaits the arrival of a warrior sworn to the Tuatha dé Danaan, the Celtic gods her family has served since the beginning of time. For on that day, a magical battle will erupt. A war between druids and an evil that will decide the fate of mankind.
Isaac Connel knows the battle is imminent, and is ready to fight, once again but from the moment he sees Ruth flitting around the sacred ground, he’s captivated by her fiery charms and a need to protect her.
Despite Isaac’s assurances and the dreams that guide her, what can Ruth and her lover do to drive off this evil? Despite everything, will the world end at the hands of an evil god?
Excerpt—From Chapter Five
Ruth sighed heavily as she entered her home. She’d never had to care for the farm on her own. A strange loneliness tugged her as she stoked the fire for her dinner. Would Mother ever come back? she wondered. And where was her brother?
A hopeful look crossed Isaac’s face. “Did I see a smokehouse out back?”
“Yes,” she said. “We’ve pork and a little beef set aside for the winter.”
“That’s good,” Cyreth said. “More than enough, I hope. My friend eats like a—well, a lot.”
She pursed her lips, considering the tall, lean Isaac and doubted Cyreth’s words. Reluctant to argue, she merely shrugged. “So long as he’s not a glutton, we should get by. You’re all welcome to share what I have. Especially for what you’ve done.”
“It was no trouble, lass; but I won’t say no to your generous hospitality,” Isaac said. “Where should I start?”
Ruth led him to the back porch and pointed him in the right direction. As he crossed the yard, she leaned against the doorjamb, watching. He ducked into the small smoke shack that housed their preserved meat and soon emerged carrying a slab of pork. When he set it aside on her cutting board and turned to the fields Ruth followed.
“Is there something you need, lass?” Isaac asked.
She blushed. Did watching him count? She paused, scanning the yard. Spying the water bucket, she leaned down to pluck it from the dried, withered grass. “A little water.”
He nodded and she followed on, turning right and heading for the spring. She wondered if she shouldn’t dunk herself into it. The cold water would do well to cool her heart. How embarrassing!
She didn’t know much of Isaac Connel, how could she already be swooning over him?
With those strange enemies, with his companions, surely Isaac was nothing less than the harshad warrior she awaited.
She shaded her eyes from the sun as she passed the smokehouse. Through the little window in the wood wall, she saw Isaac milled about checking through her family’s stores but his quick glance told her he knew she watched. She spun on her heel and hurried into her kitchen.
Closing the door behind her, she set the water aside, and descended the steps to her basement. Here, she pulled jars of preserved vegetables from a shelf.
When she reemerged she found Cyreth inspecting her cutting boards. “Do you need help with dinner, Ruth, dear? The work will go quicker with two.”
“Yes. My thanks.” She’d never expected to have guests for dinner tonight. Without her family the house might’ve been lonely, and yet no. Despite the day’s wretched events, something about her two companions put her at ease. As if their very presence promised some lasting peace. She nodded finally as a thought occurred to her. “You can help me arrange a bed for Isaac.”
“That I can,” Cyreth said. “He said something about sleeping in your solar?”
Ruth nodded and led her outside to the shed where they kept extra cots. Between them, they carried the wooden framed cot inside and set it down before the solar’s fireplace. When Ruth was happy with its placement, they returned to the kitchen and dinner preparations.
Cyreth winked. “You have no idea how testy Isaac gets when he’s hungry.”
“Maybe I should worry he might not only milk the cows then?”
“That depends. Do you harbor the fabled Brown Bull of Cuailnge in your fields?”
Ruth laughed. “No. I only have one, and not so large as that immortal bull. I hope a mere side of beef will satisfy him.”
Cyreth laughed and peeked at a loaf of rising dough.
“How does his wife keep him fed?” Ruth asked.
Cyreth’s hands moved with grace as she sprinkled some fennel seeds over the loaf. “Whose?”
She waved her knife to the door, not wanting to hear the answer if it would only crush her small daydream. She had enough disappointments to add one more to the list. “Isaac’s.” Disappointments? My stars, I don’t know anything about him! Ruth shook her head and stabbed another carrot. “No. Forget I asked.”
Cyreth picked up the bread pan and slid it into Mother’s brick oven. “I promise, no lass has claimed his heart yet.”




And in paperback:


If you’d like to learn more about Juli, and the rest of her mythic warriors visit her at: http://julidrevezzo.com/
You can also find her on:
Celtic Steward Chronicles Pinterest page, for images and articles that have inspired the Celtic Stewards Chronicles: https://www.pinterest.com/jewelsraven/related-to-the-celtic-stewards-chronicles/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/julidrevezzo

Sign up for her newsletter at: http://bit.ly/SNI5K6

Passion's Sacred Dance, the first book in the Celtic Stewards Chronicles, is on sale for $.99 through November 30!

 
Order Passion's Sacred Dance here: http://amzn.com/B00X0P3IPG
About the author:
Juli D. Revezzo is a Florida girl with a love of speculative and romantic fiction and legend, and loves writing stories with all kinds of fantastical elements. She is the author of The Antique Magic series and the Paranormal Romance Celtic Stewards Chronicles series, New Adult romance Changeling’s Crown, and many short stories. She is also a member of the Independent Author Network and the Magic Appreciation Tour. To learn more about this and future releases, visit her at: http://julidrevezzo.com
Follow her on Facebook: facebook.com/julidrevezzo
or Twitter: @julidrevezzo 
She is a member of the Independent Author Network and the Magic Appreciation Tour. Come learn more about her at http://julidrevezzo.com


Thanks again for having us here today, Christi!
My pleasure, Juli!

No comments: